Last Wednesday I was in a church service where a visiting pastor was speaking. His sermon was a comparison of Mary and Judas in Mark 14 verses 3-11.
- Focused on the most important–worshiping God (Christ). Luke 10:38-42
- Faithful in trials. John 11:21-40
- Forsook her greatest possession. Mark 14:3
- Criticized intimate worship. Mark 14:4
- Complained about God’s work. Mark 14:4. 5
- Confided with wicked people. Mark 14:10, 11
What struck me is that while many look at missionaries and think that we are willing to give up many things to go live on a foreign field, most of us don’t see that as a hardship. However, we struggle with giving up some things. Maybe your struggle is the thought of giving up regular electricity, or moving away from family. We do give up those things, but personally my struggles are in giving up things of even lesser value.
I don’t think I fall into the category of a Judas, but I am not sure I am a Mary either. Sure, I am willing to give up some comforts to be a missionary, but am I willing to forsake what I see as materialistically important? I am not sure I am there yet.